Thursday, October 21, 2004

Aloneness

Being alone is not the same as being lonely. Lonely is sad whereas alone is just plain crazy... or so the world around me insists on telling me. Why can't people understand how lovely it is to spend time alone? Am I alone (that word again) in enjoying my solitude?

There are amatuer shrinks who insist on believing that being alone is a sure sign of clinical depression. A childhood friend who moved away from Hyderabad called me recently and during the course of the conversation asked me about other friends we both knew. I said I wasn't meeting them as much nowadays, in fact, I was spending a large part of my time alone. To say that she was shocked would be an understatement. She was beyond shock. And this girl knows me real good. Knows that I'm not much of a talker and do not like to socialize. But this didn't stop her from giving me a half hour lecture, LONG DISTANCE, about how I should be going out more and enjoying. Nevermind the fact that I was trying to say that I enjoy my alone tmes.

Why is it that being alone is considered to be a crazy thing to do? What if I prefer my own company rather than being in the middle of people and still being lonely?

I'm happy alone. I like my books. I like my world. I like my thoughts. I like wandering around in my head behind closed eyes. I'm not depressed. I am not crazy. I will not commit suicide. And I hate the question which goes "Are you alright?" just because I prefer to spend time by myself. No, I am not alright and I probably will not be alright in the middle of a chattering, singing, dancing group of people either. Thank you for asking.

I'd like to think of myself as an e-cluse rather than a recluse. I spend a lot of time online. Some of it with friends, some of it reading. I like it. Is that bad? I don't like visiting relatives. The online world has a lot of like-minded people. So what if they're living in Egypt or Dubai or Timbuktoo (is there really such a place)?

Alone works for me. Is it really that bad?

Needed to get that off my mind... now for the quotes. :p
"Alone, even doing nothing, you do not waste your time. You do, almost always, in company. No encounter with yourself can be altogether sterile: Something necessarily emerges, even if only the hope of some day meeting yourself again."
Emile M. Cioran (French philosopher, b.1911)

"What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be."
Ellen Burstyn

"Language... has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone."
Paul Tillich (German born American theologian and philosopher, 1886-1965)

"I lived in solitude in the country and noticed how the monotony of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

and finally...

"With a rubber duck, one's never alone."
Unknown

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes being alone is being in good company :D
[Posted by Lily on Thursday Oct 21, 2004 at 10:32 am]

21 October, 2005 18:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being alone is never boring, you always have something or the other to think about and more and more to realise about yourself.

n by the way, Timbaktoo is in Mali
[Posted by Jai on Thursday Oct 21, 2004 at 10:42 am]

21 October, 2005 18:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

Aran posteth. I readeth. I smileth too.
[Posted by drp on Thursday Oct 21, 2004 at 8:31 pm]

21 October, 2005 18:53  
Blogger Aran said...

Lily, exactly. :)

Thanks Jai. For Timbuktoo.

drp-eth, niceth. You commenteth. I liketh. I thanketh. :p
[Posted by Aran on Thursday Oct 21, 2004 at 8:58 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, u said it all!! It is rather very difficult 2 convince people that being lonely is an experience...but who cares...we love the solitude, dont we??
[Posted by diva on Friday Oct 22, 2004 at 7:11 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I din't see this!!... I swear!!


You are being alone in secret.
[Posted by fallen angel on Friday Oct 22, 2004 at 8:38 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:46  
Blogger Aran said...

angelita, of course you didn't see it. humph! it's out there for all to see. humph 2!

diva, there's no 'we' in solitude. :p
[Posted by Aran on Friday Oct 22, 2004 at 11:42 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post again. Okay its really good.

Wonder why some people cant understand, "sage" stuff, "doing great" answers. Is it about preaching and not practicing? ;)

Oh BTW, me thinks, Timbaktoo is in Mongolia.... You might want to recheck that but I do think its in Mongolia.
[Posted by Anoop on Monday Oct 25, 2004 at 2:17 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ofcourse there is Aran, me and my solitude.
[Posted by diva on Monday Oct 25, 2004 at 8:18 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:48  
Blogger Aran said...

Anoop. I think I'll have nightmares about you saying 'good post'. Is this like a conspiracy or something? Hello! You're the one who doesn't like me (what I write, etc.), remember? :p
Why people do not understand 'sage' stuff is cos they're not sagey enough. And why they don't understand 'doing great' replies is BECAUSE NO ONE CAN 'DO' GREAT ALL THE TIME!!!! :D
Ok, I really don't need to know where Timbuktoo is. lol.
Btw, where are you? WHERE?
Isn't this kind of pathetic? Talking to you in my comments. :(

diva, ahhh... like that! I agree. :)

Nameless commentor, I uphold your write to say anything you want to. Say it! Yeah!
[Posted by Aran on Monday Oct 25, 2004 at 11:48 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well your last two posts were good. Anyway, dont make it an issue ;)

See there you go again with the "No one can be....." Thats such a limiting point of view. Its not the end of the journey. Tough times will come and there will be days you will have an ear to ear grin on your face when I say I am doing bad. But till such a time comes, let me tell you I am enjoying Pizzas and burgers and all the junk food here while you are fasting :)

You know where I am. And yes its pathetic to talk to each other in comments. Damn sounds so ...... yuck. anyway, I believe you are earning now. And you have the necessary information to contact me.
[Posted by Anoop on Tuesday Oct 26, 2004 at 10:54 am]

22 October, 2005 16:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a rubber dick, one's never alone
[Posted by crank on Friday Oct 29, 2004 at 8:06 am]

22 October, 2005 16:49  
Blogger Aran said...

Dear crank, with a rubber dick, one's doomed to being alone. It needs more than rubber.
[Posted by Aran on Friday Oct 29, 2004 at 9:35 am]

22 October, 2005 16:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

timbaktoo is a city in mali which is a country in africa
[Posted by pds on Thursday Nov 25, 2004 at 5:42 pm]

22 October, 2005 16:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home