Friday, August 20, 2004

Of Osmani biscuits and fate

There's just something about Osmani Biscuits that makes you feel pukey after you eat more than one. And there's something else, about my grandmother that makes her get these biscuits every few days. And there's something quite different, about me, which kills my resistance for these everytime they're in front of me.

I know that I will feel pukey after I eat them, but still my hand reaches out towards them of it's own volition, like it's got a mind of it's own (what would we do without cliches!). I just finished five of them and there are three more in that floral-patterned plate, looking mournfully up at me throught their fat, sandy-brown countenance like they're asking me what they did that they were left back there on the plate while their brethen were eaten.

All this made me think of fate. (Don't laugh. It's rude.) I mean, out of eight biscuits, five get eaten and three don't. Isn't it just like people? Think of ones who go "Why me?" or "Why her?" or "Why them? or "Why it?" or... Why other pronouns.

This makes me think about the saying that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I mean, just think of the biscuits. Five were eaten!!! Isn't that a worse fate than being there on the plate? But then when you think that the whole objective and sole aim of an Osmani biscuit is to be eaten, then it does seem kind of sad that three were left behind.

While I was typing this, a steady stream of red ants have walked into the plate and are enjoying the biscuits. So now the equation has changed. The three which are left are also being eaten, which means that they are fulfilling their purpose.

But eaten by ants? Is that as good as being eaten by a human? If you look at it from the point of view of it being the ant's entire dinner, but only a snack to me, then you might think that it's better to be eaten by an ant. But then being eaten by a human is just so much more a cause for pride than being eaten by a measly ant. What a conundrum!

Sigh... I've done it again. How do I think myself into these thoughts which cannot be resolved one way or another?

I'm wondering if the ants would feel pukey after eating them. Somehow, I think that would have a bearing on whether it's better to be eaten by a human or an ant, right?

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL.
[Posted by JOhnny on Friday Aug 20, 2004 at 12:38 am]

10 October, 2005 02:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was in no mood to laugh tonite, just cracked up at your post.
[Posted by doesitmatter on Friday Aug 20, 2004 at 12:56 am]

10 October, 2005 02:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever tried those biscuits with the 'wonder fluid'? You willnot find them pukey anymore. That is a guarantee!
[Posted by Script Writer on Friday Aug 20, 2004 at 12:58 am]

10 October, 2005 02:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try a mint tea :)

but interesting question really if ants do or do not appreciate their food more :P
[Posted by Aran's Fan on Friday Aug 20, 2004 at 2:19 am]

10 October, 2005 02:54  
Blogger Aran said...

A Fan, Yep. Mint tea. And someone has to think about the really interesting questions in the universe, right? So me! :D

Scripto, do not, I repeat, DO NOT talk about any wonder fluids here. Pleeeassssseee! *Pukey*

dim, Thanks guy. You don't know how great that's made me feel. :)

JOhnny, That's rude. :p
[Posted by Aran on Saturday Aug 21, 2004 at 11:32 am]

10 October, 2005 02:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are these the same ones for which Karachi Bakery is supposedly famous for? Got to know about them from an online pal living in the UK :)

U seem to have a real problem there deciding between the merits of different possibilities. It would've been a better option to have finished off the remaining biscuits than to let the mind take over to ponder and wander. That's what I do with my packets of Brittania Nice Time :|
[Posted by JLU on Saturday Aug 21, 2004 at 10:09 pm]

10 October, 2005 02:55  
Blogger Aran said...

Yep JLU, the Karachi Bakery ones. And I am so disappointed. You asked me to eat them instead of pondering on the whys and wherefores. Who will think of these soul searching questions and the answers to them then? It's just my way of doing my bit for humanity. :)
[Posted by Aran on Sunday Aug 22, 2004 at 10:37 am]

10 October, 2005 02:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking of answering those soul searching questions, but while I thought of the answers, more questions struck me.
Snack of human is honorable than being dinner of ant. Likewise, is snack of hippo more glorious than dinner of human ? I mean, are these size related? Or, brain related ?
If brain related, is it more respectable to be Einstien's dinner, than being our dinner ?
Imagining a pukey hippo is making me crazy. Is that thought making you feel weird too ?

[Posted by T on Sunday Aug 22, 2004 at 11:33 am]

10 October, 2005 02:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must visit my blog :
http://obscurumperobscurius.fullhydblogs.com/
[Posted by Obscurum on Monday Aug 23, 2004 at 1:48 pm]

10 October, 2005 02:56  
Blogger Aran said...

T! Lovely thoughts. Thank you. Welcome to the club.
Eintein's dinner! Wow!!! You sent me into paroxysms of delight at the mere thought. Of course it's higher. Brain power babe!
ps. T, your last comment reminded me of something. You need to read a story. It's meant for you. I'll let you know if I find it. Made fer you. :)

Obs, wth? I really have a problem doing things I 'must' do. So I really might not visit your blog. Don't take it personally. Or whatever.
[Posted by Aran on Monday Aug 23, 2004 at 8:50 pm]

10 October, 2005 02:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aran...luvvvv u gal!! visited ur blog after a long time...and got to read all of them posts at once..what a treat!! :)
[Posted by martiandevil on Monday Aug 23, 2004 at 1:08 am]

10 October, 2005 02:57  
Blogger Aran said...

Devilette! Great to see you after such a long time. Missed ya girl. Where have you been?! :)
[Posted by Aran on Tuesday Aug 24, 2004 at 11:21 am]

10 October, 2005 02:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was busy...getting married...the word 'married' has such a nice ring to it :)
[Posted by martiandevil on Tuesday Aug 24, 2004 at 8:49 pm]

10 October, 2005 02:58  
Blogger Aran said...

:o

Congratulations!!!! (})
[Posted by Aran on Tuesday Aug 24, 2004 at 9:11 pm]

10 October, 2005 02:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crapola - she's crossed 10,000.
Well done. :-)
[Posted by Neurotron on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 11:51 am]

10 October, 2005 02:58  
Blogger Aran said...

Thank you. But am gonna get knocked off in the near future. :)
[Posted by Aran on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 1:49 pm]

10 October, 2005 02:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't count on it as yet :P
[Posted by Lily on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 2:59 pm]

10 October, 2005 02:59  
Blogger Aran said...

I give myself a week at the most. Sigh. Goodbye top spot.
[Posted by Aran on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 10:49 pm]

10 October, 2005 03:00  
Blogger NN said...

HEYYYYYYY ARAN!
Neha/NN/woolgatherer here :)
Just discovered your blog, the ant brain that i am.
By the law of diminishing marginal utitly the ants are going to enjoy the last three biscuits more than you will :D. Ok now i'm going to flunk my Eco exam tomorrow.
What the hell, i have more important issues to ponder. Like the satisfaction derived from an Osmani Biscuit by a human Vs ant. Suddenly i'm feeling less futile.

16 October, 2005 23:59  
Blogger Aran said...

That's how it's meant to be Neha. That is exactly how it's meant to be. Glad my blog entries help you with your futility, or the lessening of it. Honoured. :D

18 October, 2005 02:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home