Friday, July 09, 2004

From Hero to Zero

In spite of the crappy title (which sounds like a really bad Mithun Chakraborty movie) that I've managed to think up for this post, I'll go ahead with writing it without any embarrassment whatever. Yes, some of you might think I've lost it, and perhaps I have.

The topic of this post is role models. Or rather, being one. When you're the eldest in your generation, you naturally are expected to forge new pathways and set new limits, surpassing those of the generation which has passed. (For example, if your father got 56% in his tenth board exam, you get 75%. That way.) Here, I am the eldest one and I thought I had done my duty with the utmost reverence and perseverance, smile on my face in the face of adversity and all that. But recently, I've seen my younger cousins bounding across the limits I've set. The goals I've reached are now just a rest stop for them.

It wasn't that long ago when I had been on a pedestal. All the words coming out of my mouth were listened to with an enraptured expression, sometimes even repeated in an awed voice. Take this for example:

Characters: my cousin who is six years younger to me and I.

Scene 1: I was in the 7th or 8th standard and we were having a discussion about what everyone wanted to be when they grew up. I said I wanted to be a vet. (That was because I loved animals and didn't know that I had to take chemistry in junior college to acheive that goal. When I came to know about the chem, the love of animals understandably went down a bit.) Anyway, I said I wanted to be a vet then. Little, cute cousin asked me what that was. I said it's an animal doctor. Instant widening of eyes and she is looking at me like those weirdo devotees look at their sadhu baba. (I know that's such a yuck comparison, makes me think of myself in flowing saffron with a beard.) But anyway, the point here is she thought I was the coolest thing on earth. (Ok, the devotees do not know the meaning of COOL, so scrap the comparison and let's get on with this). Then, a pause and she says she wants to be a vet too. I was bowled over. I mean, what's more flattering than that? Of course, I did the gracious 'Oh no, you still have a lot of years to go before you decide... you might want to have your own goal.' speech at that time, but I was secretly thrilled. Who wouldn't be?

Now cut to a few years later... scene 2: Cousin stays over at my house and we have a heart to heart. I am, well, grown up and she has just passed her 10th standard. She tells me about the guys in her life. First, I am shocked. Think, she is too small for all that. Then it sinks in, thankfully I make none of the 'you're too young for guys' comments, and then I feel honoured. I mean, she trusted me enough to come and share that with me. Ego swelled to burst point.

Cut to a few days earlier: Scene 3: I enter cousin's house and we have a little chit chat about each others lives. Then she goes-- "Why haven't you filed your nails? They're looking so bad." After a while - "You really need to change your hairstyle." Later - "Don't you use any moisturiser?"

How did this happen? Sometime, when I wasn't paying attention, I moved from somebody she looks up to, to somebody she can look down her nose at. While I was strutting and doing the elder sister stuff, my younger sis grew up and I didn't even notice.

I want my weirdo devotee back.

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't we all...
[Posted by Neurotron on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 2:14 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But not everyone is as INNOCENT and as NICE as aran is ;>)
[Posted by Anoop on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 3:50 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you talkin about. There was a time when my classmates envied me my top position in the class and came to me to clear their doubts, but now that I'm just an average student, they don't bother with me...:((
Let's form a sad-gal-no-more-glory-left club together.
[Posted by martiandevil on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 5:18 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's just form A club. no sad, no lost glory, no shit. A club where you invite her (your ex-weirdo devotee) and then all of the rest of us (your current-devotees {all weird})show her the meaning of life, and make her see the wonder that Aran is:D...

I am so liking the idea of weirdo-devotees-club... woohoo...
[Posted by fallen angel on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 5:45 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:01  
Blogger Aran said...

FA, like your idea the best. :D
...and make her see the wonder that Aran is... I'm grinning away to glory now. Thank you, girl.

Devilette, you can probably get your glory back whenever you want. :)

Anoop, you forgot CUTE. :p

Neuro, I guess everybody does. :)
[Posted by Aran on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 7:28 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had someone mentioned DELUSIONS.
[Posted by Anoop on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 8:23 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next time before u post mayeb u would wanna ask me for a title! ;)
[Posted by Tabrez on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 10:40 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:02  
Blogger Aran said...

Tabrez, ask YOU??!!!!! Hahahahaha... :p
[Posted by Aran on Friday Jul 9, 2004 at 11:16 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand ur plight.. the other day my younger sample whom I helped in writing home work/ tied shoe lace/ bashed up his bachha-party classmates more than twice and raised his rank among peers/introduced him to my gf’s sisters/cousins/neighbors etc …tells me that his frns FAKE that I am a good bro!!! I dunno wat on earth I did to deserve that…I think the “yunger than us” crowd suffers from ‘no acknowledgment’ syndrome…Iv my thumbs-up for a club too —‘hata sawan ki ghata’ club..
[Posted by Anshu.. on Saturday Jul 10, 2004 at 5:59 am]

12 September, 2005 12:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey where did aloque go?? his blog doesnt even come up when u search for it....miss his blogs...
[Posted by martiandevil on Saturday Jul 10, 2004 at 10:01 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:03  
Blogger Aran said...

Anshu, 'younger sample'. lol. welcome to the club. :)

Devilette, I replied to your comment on your blog. Somehow I'm not thinking straight these days. And aloque's blog is accessible from your faves link and mine too.
[Posted by Aran on Sunday Jul 11, 2004 at 2:20 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU are not thinking straight?? I thought that was me!!! :P :D
[Posted by martiandevil on Sunday Jul 11, 2004 at 3:49 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my 'devotee' if you like, became a famous movie star.
Ok, just movie star.
Ok, he acted in a movie. Kukunoor's Rockford.
*sigh* I lost my devotee to the glitz and glamour...
Damn those movies!
[Posted by Neurotron on Monday Jul 12, 2004 at 2:03 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog dammit
[Posted by Roark on Tuesday Jul 13, 2004 at 4:33 am]

12 September, 2005 12:04  
Blogger Aran said...

Roark? Howard by any chance? *swoon*

Yeah, I will. As soon as I stop mourning.
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday Jul 14, 2004 at 12:06 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:04  
Blogger Aran said...

You.
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday Jul 14, 2004 at 5:04 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone actually misses your blogs?????????????? cool. Congratulations.
[Posted by Anoop on Wednesday Jul 14, 2004 at 7:04 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:05  
Blogger Aran said...

Anoop, thank you.
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday Jul 14, 2004 at 7:11 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I feel that was sooooooooooo heartfelt.
[Posted by Anoop on Wednesday Jul 14, 2004 at 7:22 pm]

12 September, 2005 12:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aran, what are you crying about? judging from the posts here, you have a Major fan following.. many weirdo devotees to choose from!
[Posted by The Rainmaker on Wednesday Jul 14, 2004 at 9:31 pm]

12 September, 2005 17:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm... does that make You my weird devotee?... wouldnt THAT be so cool (for me, ie)...

it's like my funeral, only better... i get to see who really loved me and who's stealing my clothes, shoes and Cds... woohoo!! i must say :D
[Posted by fallen angel on Wednesday Jul 14, 2004 at 3:06 am]

12 September, 2005 17:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have acted an undertaker. Have no clue where this all is going.
[Posted by Anoop on Thursday Jul 15, 2004 at 9:40 am]

12 September, 2005 17:57  
Blogger Aran said...

fa, yes, it does. And now that you know who loved you and who didn't, just get back here, lady.

Rainmaker, I guess you do have a point. But see, what the post was about is just something a bit different, you know.

Anoop, you anyway have no clue about anything at all.
[Posted by Aran on Thursday Jul 15, 2004 at 1:48 pm]

12 September, 2005 17:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahhaa You so despise me.
[Posted by Anoop on Thursday Jul 15, 2004 at 2:29 pm]

12 September, 2005 17:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is'nt that obvious biatch
[Posted by Roark on Friday Jul 16, 2004 at 7:07 am]

12 September, 2005 17:58  
Blogger Aran said...

Heheh... now I know who you are and I take back the swoon. :p
[Posted by Aran on Friday Jul 16, 2004 at 11:20 am]

12 September, 2005 17:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right. Some of the characters you will meet in tomorrow's performance of The Importance of Being Drunk:
millionthmonkey.rediffblogs.com
sporadicthoughts.rediffblogs.com
indian601.blogspot.com
egarim.blogspot.com
[Posted by Ajay on Friday Jul 16, 2004 at 11:37 am]

12 September, 2005 17:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah aran, post a blog!! been a long time girl..
[Posted by martiandevil on Friday Jul 16, 2004 at 11:38 am]

12 September, 2005 18:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

n now my dear aran...ur back to bein confused..
n btw..who needs a blog...look at these comments?!!!!!
[Posted by drp on Friday Jul 16, 2004 at 12:08 am]

12 September, 2005 18:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sista where art thou
[Posted by ManWhore on Sunday Jul 18, 2004 at 2:44 am]

12 September, 2005 18:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heallllooooo!!! Earth calling aran!!! where are u dudette???????
[Posted by tabrez on Monday Jul 19, 2004 at 5:49 am]

12 September, 2005 18:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

??
[Posted by ?? on Thursday Jul 22, 2004 at 9:33 am]

12 September, 2005 18:03  
Blogger Aran said...

Thanks Devilette, drp, ManWhore (what the heck?), tabrez and ?? (what the...). Feels nice to know I've been missed. Made me feel really good, you all. Thanks a bunch. :D

btw, I'm back!! :)
[Posted by Aran on Thursday Jul 22, 2004 at 6:49 pm]

12 September, 2005 18:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home