Sunday, July 04, 2004

Surprise!!!!!

By definition, surprise means:
  1. To encounter suddenly or unexpectedly; take or catch unawares.
  2. To attack or capture suddenly and without warning.
  3. To cause to feel wonder, astonishment, or amazement, as at something unanticipated.

That is courtesy www.dictionary.com. The highlights are mine though. Please take a few moments to think about the highlights. There's a reason behind making those words bold. Read all those reasons. They play a part in my life and I am going to elaborate how in just a moment. Err... I think you can safely skip over definition 2. I don't think I am going to be attacked or captured anytime soon, (but then that's what I think. If someone was going to catch me by surprise, I wouldn't know it now, would I?)

Now, in contrast to the definitions above, I was informed yesterday, that I was going to get a surprise tomorrow. A surprise, my dear friends, is not supposed to be known beforehand. You can't tell someone, "Hey! I'm going to surprise you." It ceases to be a surprise. It says right there on that dictionary site!

And I, by nature, am a curious person. Yes, yes, I know all those things about curiosity killing cats and all, but I cannot help it. If someone tells me half of something I am itching to know, I get consumed by thoughts of that thing day and night and morning and evening and afternoon and... you get the point. It's a disease. It's a curse. It's something I want to get over, but can't. :(

So, since yesterday, I've been obsessing on the fact. What will it be tomorrow? Will I like it? Will it be _________? (fill the blank with a thousand and one different things I have thought about since yesterday). And now there still are about 22 hours before I come to know what it is.

How mean can they be? Why did they have to mention the surprise if they weren't going to tell me? NO! The anticipation thing doesn't even begin to answer that question. I do NOT want to anticipate things. Anticipation is about things you know, not about things you don't know. And please, just take it from me, I am NOT an 'anticipation' person. I am the 'would like to know right now, thank you' person. And if they don't tell me after I bug them for half an hour, I might even turn into 'sicko, just tell me, @%#$%' (followed by more expletives) kind of a person. And then, if they don't tell me still, I turn into the 'Ok, I'm just going to sulk' person. I went through the whole routine yesterday, and still didn't come to know what it was. Not even a hint. MEAN, I tell you, mucho mean. (tee hee, that's spanish I think. Makes me feel cool to write that. ;)

I'm writing this to distract myself from mulling over the fact. And to make some of the frustration go away. It's not a nice feeling, this 'anticipation'. I was told I will feel good when I finally get it after the anticipation. But what if I get disappointed? I mean, I've been thinking about this for so much time now, so it had better really thrill me when I get it, or I might turn into a furious, sputtering 'Stupid Cow! You wanted me to anticipate THIS?!!!!' kinda person and launch myself at my friends' throat.

And well, I still don't feel good after getting all this out of my system. What do you think it can be...? Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hate that myself.
you know what, you should take revenge on this person.
make them anticipate. tell them what you think of their surprise the day after you get it, huh?
[Posted by aloque on Sunday Jul 4, 2004 at 4:19 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!! now you've made ME curious to know what the surprise is!
[Posted by martiandevil on Sunday Jul 4, 2004 at 5:20 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:55  
Blogger Aran said...

Ahhh aloque. Bless you. But I just can't do that. It would be apparent, plastered all over my face. :(

Hehehe ms. devil. Somewhat sorry. I was just trying to offload my feelings. Didn't know I'd offload it on you. :p
[Posted by Aran on Sunday Jul 4, 2004 at 6:32 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

…an easy way out cud b to tell them instantly that u already know wat the surprise is...this puts the person in defensive and forces em to spill the beans/bananas etc (in this case the surPRIZE!!) ..needs to b told with a total stoic look on the face…and not 'pls pls plssss tell me' kind of a face…
[Posted by Anshu.. on Monday Jul 5, 2004 at 12:08 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well why do you bother? It wont be godo news anyway for you :P

[Posted by Anoop on Monday Jul 5, 2004 at 1:04 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:56  
Blogger Aran said...

Heheh... will start practicing that Anshu. It's just that I'm such a nice, innocent person... what I think is reflected on my face most times... *blush*

Anoop, won't it? Crystal Ball?

(now watch Anoop go crazy with the reply to Anshu's comment. Lol ;)
[Posted by Aran on Monday Jul 5, 2004 at 10:12 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND I AM GOD.
[Posted by Anoop on Monday Jul 5, 2004 at 10:45 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:57  
Blogger Aran said...

Lol. There! Delusions are the first step. :D
[Posted by Aran on Monday Jul 5, 2004 at 11:07 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Precisely my point.
[Posted by Anoop on Tuesday Jul 6, 2004 at 7:32 am]

12 September, 2005 11:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what was the surprise? Pleasant? ;>)
[Posted by Anoop on Wednesday Jul 7, 2004 at 2:13 pm]

12 September, 2005 11:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home