Friday, May 28, 2004

Youre Sleeeeppppiiinnnngggg

I have a problem. Well, I think I do. It's not a very big problem. But it's somehow a pretty persistent problem. The person about whom this problem is doesn't think it is a problem. But that's what he thinks. To me, it's a problem. I think. (Therefore I am. Yeah!)

Everytime this person calls me, (let's call him D, only because his name starts with the letter), I somehow manage to lull him to sleep. Now, is that something worth being known for? Is that even good? Putting someone to sleep on the phone? Is that desirable? Would any of you want that ability?

It starts off pretty okay. We talk about normal stuff, how has your day been, how has your life been, how are my boyfriends, how are his girlfriends, etc. etc. Then somewhere around the half an hour mark, there's one tiny stiffled yawn. And then a minute later there's another... and slowly it gets to the point where there are these silences to my jokes, to my questions, to my existence on the other end of the phone! I tell him, matter-of-fact, that he's falling asleep. He denies it (as if it's the first time it's happening.) I persist. He acknowledges that he might be a tiny bit sleepy. Tiny bit my @... Then he says, wait - hear this, takes the cake - he says that it's actually very nice that I put him to sleep. That he feels so comfortable in my presence that he can relax and fall asleep.

Sheesh! What am I? A massage? Comfortable indeed. Who wants to be comfortable? Comfortable is totally the opposite of interesting, funny, shocking, vibrant! Do I even want to be comfortable? No! NO! I don't. Anyone out there who's willing to work with D and me to make me not so comfortable to him? (Hehehe... I somehow like how that last sentence came out.)

But then... maybe... perhaps this is not so bad after all. Putting people to sleep has to have some advantages, right? I think I should try a career in hypnosis... those suggestion-induced slumbers where you can almost play God. And then I'd hypnotise D and... mwahahahaha.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could try pokin the dude with stuff.... you know design an ironmaidenish chair for him... a chair with needles on the service end and ask him to sit on it the minute you call..... or ask somebody to wax him while he's talking to you.... watch this space for more ideas :-)
[Posted by ar on Friday May 28, 2004 at 2:30 pm]

12 June, 2005 23:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe D doesnt know how to keep a conversation alive. Maybe he is boring? Ever thot?
[Posted by Johnny on Friday May 28, 2004 at 2:41 pm]

12 June, 2005 23:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hypnosis? Oh be-have!! Maybe he's just lost his Mojo...
[Posted by Neurotron on Friday May 28, 2004 at 2:52 pm]

12 June, 2005 23:54  
Blogger Aran said...

LOL. Thank you so much ar. I'll be grateful to you forever.

No Johnny, D is nice and interesting and a good one to talk to (but don't tell him I said that). I'm the one who puts him to sleep. :(

Neuro, lost it? And that's why he be sleeping sleeping?
[Posted by Aran on Friday May 28, 2004 at 4:48 pm]

12 June, 2005 23:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an intriguing problem indeed wonder if D knows if his conversational abilites are being analysed and subjected to scrutiny evertime he gets on to talk to you,i would personally find it very unnerving.BTW u havent told us if there is any specific time of teh day or night u talk to D more frequently maybe it has something to do with his circadian.Maybe you touch his soul in ways it aint been 'touched'before i guess the possibilities are endless.wish i had sucha soothing effect on the tele.
lucky you!
[Posted by dannyboi on Friday May 28, 2004 at 5:14 pm]

12 June, 2005 23:55  
Blogger Aran said...

dannyboi, I think you and D are one soul. I talk to him at night... anytime from 1-5 at night. See, I'm sleeping and his call wakes me up and I am instantly awake and then HE goes to sleep while talking to ME. Plus, please consider the fact that on normal days he doesn't sleep till 5 am or so. Sigh. What is it that effects him so?
[Posted by Aran on Friday May 28, 2004 at 5:32 pm]

12 June, 2005 23:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aran, with so many insomniacs around, you may be that elusive cure they maybe looking for..... may I have your # please? ;)
[Posted by JLU on Friday May 28, 2004 at 11:41 pm]

12 June, 2005 23:55  
Blogger Aran said...

Now I'm being called an elusive cure. Life is just not fair.
[Posted by Aran on Saturday May 29, 2004 at 9:06 am]

12 June, 2005 23:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home