Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Roadside Romeo Effect

Really influenced by aloque's entry about road rage, I couldn't help but shout out at a guy who was crossing the road in front of me yesterday. I was driving along, minding my own business, when this roadside romeo - red shirt with obscenely yellow stripes and trousers of indeterminate fungus-green colour (A perfect goonda type with those flashy clothes. I have an allergy to those types. They think they're God's gift to women and give a sick smile, with paan-stained teeth whenever I look in their general direction. YUKKK!) - he simply sauntered in front of me.

I probably wouldn't have minded if he was just crossing quickly, I let them do that sometimes; but what got me was the casual indifference of the man. He was fairly dragging his feet and taking ages. I slammed on the brakes, leaned out of the window and... shouted. It wasn't something dirty though. Just something to the tune of "Abey Andheeyyyy. Dikhta nahi kya..."

The effect was really unexpected. The guy stopped right in front of my car and stared at me through the windshield. Amazed expression. Looked like he lost the ability to speak or think or move.. totally braindead, moronic, stupid, crazy, half-dead upright vegetable. (Damn! I feel good after that).

Not only the guy, but the traffic around me slowed and stopped. The traffic cop standing nearby stared. The cycle fellows stopped and stared. One auto fellow stopped and smirked. For about a minute, it seemed like I'd done something totally unthinkable while everybody slowed, or stopped and stared.

Is it still a novelty to see a girl shouting at a guy who tries to die in front of her vehicle? I mean, why can't we? Only the males have the ability or right to shout out obcenities, or what? Geez! It wasn't even something bad. I wonder what would have happened if I'd done the shocking words list.

Hey people! Wake up and smell the exhaust fumes. The girls are getting down and dirty. Live with it! (If you can't, then blame aloque. :o))

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if u teach me how to, I really appreciate...:p
[Posted by Aditi on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 1:20 am]

21 May, 2005 23:22  
Blogger Aran said...

Teach you what Aditi? Driving or cussing? :D
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday May 19, 2004 at 9:51 am]

21 May, 2005 23:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, nice write up. Im slowly beginning to understand road rage...I can sit and fume quietly inside the car, but if the guy is at an arm's length when Im on the bike, it's all I can do to stop myself from bashing the guys head in with my helmet.
Girls getting down and dirty??where??where??
[Posted by Neurotron on Wednesday May 19, 2004 at 10:02 am]

21 May, 2005 23:23  
Blogger Aran said...

That's just what the post was about Neurotron. You don't HAVE to sit inside the car and quietly fume. Err... I guess you missed the point.

Girls getting down n dirty -- up there. ;)
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday May 19, 2004 at 10:41 am]

21 May, 2005 23:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh heh..err..seems like u missed my point too! If I don't sit and fume INside, I'd be commiting homicide OUTside. As the case so nearly is so often when I'm on the bike.
Up where?? And please don't say '..where we belong..' or somethan'...;-)
[Posted by Neurotron on Wednesday May 19, 2004 at 2:22 pm]

21 May, 2005 23:24  
Blogger Aran said...

Neurotron, you can just take a gal along and ask her to do your cussing fer you. How does that sound? :D
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday May 19, 2004 at 2:31 pm]

21 May, 2005 23:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds great. can I have one of the 'down and dirty' girls??
If you would only TELL me where they are..!!
*sigh* I did know one who did enough cussin for the both of us tho'...can tell ya, wasnt pretty when the guys on the road used to look at me with that 'tch tch..bechaara..I pity you' look...
[Posted by Neurotron on Thursday May 20, 2004 at 10:52 am]

21 May, 2005 23:26  
Blogger alchemist said...

the most likely scenario that u r missing out here is that you get after the guy and he whips out a knife and stabs you and saunters away as casually as he came in front of ur car while u r waiting for the one in a million bystander who will help u in getting to the hospital by which time u wud have bled to death (this has happened!). or the other scenario where he whips out a gun and shoot u point blank ... end of the story... front page news in the papers (that has happened as well). or u r smart and u drive off before he can react and u r sitting in ur car thinking abt the great day ahead (despite a small traffic jam) when not one but a few of these scounderels appear in from nowhere and wrench open the door, drag you out in full view of many other people and ... or in case u keep your door locked ... chuck a few big stones at your car - big enough to shatter the windscreens and u have to spend the next 5 hours trying to get that fixed. (that has happened as well).

27 August, 2005 19:08  
Blogger Aran said...

Talk about pessimistic...

29 August, 2005 00:29  
Blogger alchemist said...

nah... real life scenarios... so u just have to be smart in how u deal with such situations... have u managed to read my comment on ur first post...?

29 August, 2005 23:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home