Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Firefly, R.I.P

He's my current muse and second virtual pet. The first was a goldfish (or some sort of fish anyway) that lived online and was supposed to be fed twice daily by clicking on a button that said 'Fishfood'. Apparently I failed to feed him and one day I received an email saying he was dead. I assure you that's not going to happen to Firefly. Enjoy him while you can because he's not going to be here long. Cos it's just not fair to him. Go PETA!

@--}--}----

Firefly was the first ever virtual pet to grace the pages of this blog. He was here, enjoying pride of place in the column to the right from 16th December, 2005 to 10th May, 2006. Of course, when I first introduced him, I told my readers that he won't be here long, but he creeped his way into my heart and into at least two of my readers', who commented about his cuteness, so I had to keep him longer than I intended.

I found Firefly while wandering on google looking for pictures of... fireflies. Yes, suddenly, I spied this handsome hunk standing between coy photographs of bugs that had their rear end lit. I saw him, and lost my heart to him. It would be hard not to... just look at that fuzzy, downy brownness on his body and that little cap of it on his sweet little head. Look at the black of his little pony legs. Look at the innocence in his eyes. And look at that smudge of white on his nose that earned him his name, and then tell me you can't fall in love with him. Tell me, and I won't believe you.

I have learnt a lot from Firefly, the biggest lesson being that you're worth more if you're a donkey among fireflies. (And I use the term 'donkey' loosely, because Firefly was so much more than a donkey. He was an inspiration!) The second thing I learnt was that you should flare your nostrils while your photograph is being taken. I tried that for a while and it was very unflattering so I had to unlearn that very quickly. Notwithstanding that little hiccup, our saga of learning continued and then I learnt patience, for they also serve who only stand and wait. And boy, do you need a lot of patience for just standing and waiting! Firefly - he had that in him, especially since he didn't know what exactly it was that he was waiting for. Perseverance, grit and determination to overcome boredom... all these are qualities Firefly had in excess.

Now, while writing this, my heart is overcome with affection for the cuteness that is Firefly. Thus, it is with a heavy heart that I consign him to my Virtual Blogpet Hall of Fame. I do this only because I realise that what comes, must go, for this is the way of the world. May his virtual image rest in peace.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest in peace???

Ass killer.

10 May, 2006 21:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I mourn the loss of Firefly, and there are lots of his extended family out here in the desert, I am happy to see Biclops.

10 May, 2006 21:44  
Blogger Aran said...

Shadow person, I'm so sorry you're taking it that way. I knew you'd be distraught, being a pet owner yourself, but you have to realise that this is in Firefly's best interests. I won't take your comment very seriously, because I know you love me and Firefly. The circumstances are making you say that. I know. I can understand.

drkside, Firefly is not lost. He's very much here. Right in the Blogpet Hall of Fame. And, excuse me, you misspelt Byclops. Humph.

10 May, 2006 23:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARAN! as soon I saw your blog, the first thing that came to my mind is the citi bank commercial..."how can you".....

11 May, 2006 20:28  
Blogger Aran said...

Twigrl!! I have no idea which commercial you're talking about, but all that is secondary. I'm so glad to see you here!!! :D

12 May, 2006 01:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see a donkey

12 May, 2006 12:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aran, I believe I have done more for you than anyone in your online history ever has or ever will. Now you have a Twigrl too! Here, mere charan yahan hain ;).

13 May, 2006 22:26  
Blogger Aran said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! However, I'd rather hug you and take you out for coffee. :p

And please, it's not a Twigrl. It's the Twigrl. Some izzat please. Now she's mine too and I also have some responsibility towards her. :D

14 May, 2006 14:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the 'a' was never meant to be disrespectful. You had wailed one night on messenger that you would give an arm and a leg for a Twigrl of your own. I just wanted to remind you of that. How could you ever think I would choose to be disrespectful to Twigrl?

14 May, 2006 15:32  
Blogger Aran said...

I don't know. One possible answer could be heatstroke.

14 May, 2006 15:36  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

I like Byclops a lot though. Lot more than Firefly. :D
The best part is he is not furry..

18 May, 2006 17:07  
Blogger Aran said...

:o

Furry = cuddly. How can you not like Firefly?! Why are you playing favourites with my blogpets and sending them on the path to being miserable? Mean. Tch tch. The last thing I need is a suicidal Firefly.

18 May, 2006 19:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home