Sunday, May 16, 2004

Singleton

There was yet another marriage I attended recently. A close relative. An aunt. Now that she's married, that's the end of all the single people in that generation (R.I.P) Being the eldest in my generation, that makes me the bakra... sigh... or rather, the bakri.

So that's why my father's chacha's daughter's husband's second cousin started asking me about my love life. For a second I was really shocked. I mean, here I'm sitting in a function where there are 'only' about 1000 'close' relatives (I was sure there were more - especially counting the insanely shouting running brats who seemed to run about playing without a care for life or limb. One even bloodied his nose somehow. In a marriage finction?! God! How can kids do that to their parents? How can kids do that to anyone...)

Well, anyway, I find myself sitting next to this hulk of a woman who is overflowing out of the rented white plastic chair, and she sweetly turns to me and the first thing she asks me is "So do you have your eye on someone?" with a leer which sickened me to my stomach and threatened to make the half-cooked shaadi chicken (you know that red thing which you find only in marriages) come out the way it had gone in.

I stared at her and debated on whether to answer her with "Listen lady, I never met you before in my life, I don't even know you and even if I did know who you are and how we are related, I wouldn't tell you if I had anybody hidden around in my love life simply for the reason that you have a sick expression on your face which suggests that you want the information just because you want to spread it around the whispering gossippy ladies." But, I controlled myself. I smiled. Sweetly. And muttered something to the tune of "No, no auntie."

Did I think the topic was closed? She came back with a "You can tell me you know" accompanied with what I believe was an attempt at a confidential smile. I smiled and remained silent. I underestimated her powers of eliciting answers though. She kept looking at me with this enthusiastically expectant expression until I could scream. "No, there is no one auntie," I said finally.

"Ahh ok."

Just as I was sending up a heartfelt thanks about the message being sent the way I wanted it to, I was met with "What do you think about X?" X being the measly, nerdy son of a family friend who, apart from being the last thing I would marry, also happened to be two years younger to me.

TWO HOURS of non-stop matchmaking later - to totally unsuitable candidates, I so wished I had a lovelife. Sigh.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'm on Aran you can handle it,Better late than never find ur Bakra..:P

[Posted by Aditi on Sunday May 16, 2004 at 11:45 am]

17 May, 2005 19:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh boy! the aunties on the prowl! the sole reason i never attend any weddings. Nice blog tho!
[Posted by Giftie on Sunday May 16, 2004 at 5:00 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said!
And nice blogs!
Good luck for the rest of the marriage season!

[Posted by MLS on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 1:05 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

restraint can be a bugger! huh? what do you wish you coulda said to her??

do you want to talk sometime, msn? yahoo? let me know, i got knots in my stomach.
[Posted by aloque on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 1:08 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:26  
Blogger Aran said...

Aditi, any candidates in mind? :p

MLS, thanks. :)

aloque, knots in your stomach, huh? I'd have to talk to you then. When and where? :D
[Posted by Aran on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 1:38 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i left my email. mail me. tell me yahoo or msn. any time between 2pm and 6pm or after 11 30 pm is good for me.
p.s the email...thats not my name either.
p.s 2 knots are tightening.
[Posted by aloque on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 6:20 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog! :-)

I am all of 23, but my relatives have already started badgering me abt marriage. :-((

At one such function, some distant relative of ours caught me alone and started telling me abt her daughter: what all she can cook, the courses she did, that she can sew. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Felt like tellin g her: Lady, thats exactly the kinda gurl I wont marry! Fortunately my bua saw the look on my face and came to rescue me. God bless her!
[Posted by Uday on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 6:26 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:27  
Blogger Aran said...

Dearest aloque, where's the email you think you left? Either I'm really blind or you're delusional. :p

Uday, I understand. sigh.
[Posted by Aran on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 9:18 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops.
[Posted by aloque on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 10:40 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes Aran two most eligible bachelors in India well... who r they?? keep guessing..:p
[Posted by Aditi on Tuesday May 18, 2004 at 12:11 am]

17 May, 2005 19:28  
Blogger Aran said...

Guess? You mean I'll have to guess before you let me know? Sheesh! Where's the fun?

ps. I like the way I'm having mini-conversations below these weirdo entries. :D
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday May 19, 2004 at 9:52 am]

21 May, 2005 23:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home