Wednesday, May 12, 2004

GRE and Talcum Powder

I'm just back from my early morning class of GRE coaching. To all of you who are intelligent, you know what GRE coaching is all about. To those who are semi-intelligent, you have a vague idea, try http://www.gre.org/. To those who are dumb, you don't need to know, so don't even think about clicking.

My class starts at 7 a.m. It's a rotten time but that can't be helped. I was swindled into it. That's a long story for some other time. What I was trying to tell you here is that I need to wake up at 6:30 and drag myself there after a half-asleep brushing of teeth and if I'm lucky, a cup of coffee.

Now the guy who teaches us the verbal part of the coaching, (well, perhaps guy is not the right word, we'll go for man) is probably retired from a position of principal of some school. On the first day of the coaching, he had talked about how he was wanted to teach English to some high profile chain of colleges in Telangana region but he turned it down because he was more interested in working for the betterment of students who really needed him, etc. etc. (rolling eyes). Basically, he's just too full of himself and he's also full of sandal scented talcum powder. Yes, you read it right. Talcum Powder.

Today as he entered the class, there was a cloud of sandal scented air which entered with him. The class is air-conditioned (yeah!) so we had to tolerate the suffocating, gagging, puky smell for almost two hours. I think I'm in awe of this man. I mean, I drag myself out of bed a mere half hour early and into the class, almost half asleep, and this man manages to look like he woke up at 4 a.m and had a shower and then emptied half a bottle of Ponds' sandal scented powder on himself. (How do I know it's Ponds'? B'cos my grandmother uses it. She uses the pink one though... not sandal, but once the shopkeeper had given her a sandal scented one sometime back and I had to breathe the fumes for about a month. Thank God she's back to pink Ponds'.) Plus, the really funny thing is that he looks all white. I was concentrating less on the analogies and more on this white-washed, sandal-scented almost-apparition who had hair coming out of his ears.

I wish I could tell him this. And Mr. P, if you're reading this, errr.... I could crawl under a rock.

Sigh. What all I have to endure in the name of education!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

could you give me the details about ur gre coaching classes....!
[Posted by romu on Wednesday May 12, 2004 at 11:57 am]

17 May, 2005 19:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didnt know that knowledge of GRE is a measure of intelligence!!
I visited that site, can I consider myself intellignet?
Wohooo!
[Posted by Intelligent fellow on Wednesday May 12, 2004 at 12:37 am]

17 May, 2005 19:05  
Blogger Aran said...

romu, what info do you want? Are you Mr. P in disguise?

I fellow - No, it's not a measure of your intelligence. What's your IQ score? :p
[Posted by Aran on Thursday May 13, 2004 at 11:15 am]

17 May, 2005 19:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hilarious blog.....i hope Mr.P should read this and stop tormenting his students.:P


[Posted by aditi on Thursday May 13, 2004 at 2:36 am]

17 May, 2005 19:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Air conditioned GRE classes!! Where, Oh Where??
[Posted by Aishwarya on Thursday Jun 10, 2004 at 3:39 pm]

17 May, 2005 19:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home