Wednesday, June 16, 2004

She Hugs

I've just been through a visit from an aunt. She's about 60 and 5 feet tall (or short?). She's a doctor. And she hugs. Me. (WHY? Why me?) Shouldn't there be a law against unwanted hugs?

I have no idea what all this is about. I really don't show any interest in her or the never ending tales of her grandson (he's almost 2 yrs old and very cute). I almost always answer her with a fake smile and a murmured 'mmhmm' - you know, that uncommunicative noise which says you're listening but are not interested? That one. But it doesn't seem to work.

She turns up at my house every two weeks and is so interested in my life. She tells me about job offers at places I would never consider working for. She asks about my correspondence course. (I regret telling her about that now). She asks me what I've read recently.

And she hugs me three times during the entire meeting. Once when we meet, once when she leaves and once in between. What is it about the hugs? I mean, doesn't she notice the way I try to fight out of the embrace? Should I try harder?

This is not about her, it's about me. I am not a people person. I am a loner and I like it that way. I just want the pc and a good book, occassionally tv. I don't like to make small talk with people. I hate to talk about inconsequential things. In fact, I hate parties and those sort of social gatherings.

How do I get the message across? The aunt just threate... er... told me that she'll invite me over to her house for a chaat party. And I'm so confused. I like chaat. Sigh. What should I do?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought only I had aunts like that...gee! There's only cold comfort tho knowing there are more ppl being plagued by well meaning aunts!
[Posted by mls on Wednesday Jun 16, 2004 at 2:15 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Hugs aran till she squeals like a pig*.... and listen up woman... if you is gonna go more than ten comments with anybody, it had better be me..... *sharpens the tools of this trade and waits...*
[Posted by ar on Wednesday Jun 16, 2004 at 2:18 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DOn't worry - one day, there'll be no more hugs.
Damn! that's a depressing thought...
[Posted by Neurotron on Wednesday Jun 16, 2004 at 2:19 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:13  
Blogger Aran said...

Neurotron, !!!!! You really shouldn't say things like that you know. I mean, I'd feel all guilty or something. I don't like her, but I don't dislike her quite that much! :|

ar, wokay. :p

mls, wanna exchange aunts for a while? I'm thinking the change will be good for us even though we HAVE to live with them.

ps. Do you people live here? On fh, I mean. How do you know minutes after my posting a new one? Do you have a network about which I don't know?
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday Jun 16, 2004 at 2:34 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes we do @ network :D and you still arent qualified to access any priveleged info :)

Dont reply to this comment. Even if you do better watch out for the sharp tools and all.
[Posted by mls on Wednesday Jun 16, 2004 at 3:05 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:13  
Blogger Aran said...

Nah... he likes you. :D

And when will I qualify?
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday Jun 16, 2004 at 6:37 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You aint qualifying unless and until you start directing all yer queries to muah...... me me me me me me me..... me.....
[Posted by ar on Wednesday Jun 16, 2004 at 10:45 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaa you have such a miserable life. If only I had your Aunt's number, how much would I have loved to tell her how much Ms WAW loves and longs for those hugs.
[Posted by Anoop on Friday Jun 18, 2004 at 11:44 am]

02 September, 2005 02:14  
Blogger Aran said...

Okay ar, how do I qualify?

Anoop, dream on.
[Posted by Aran on Friday Jun 18, 2004 at 2:45 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, give me her number and I will. I dare yuo :P
[Posted by Anoop on Friday Jun 18, 2004 at 2:50 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:15  
Blogger Aran said...

Do you actually think I'm that stupid?
[Posted by Aran on Friday Jun 18, 2004 at 3:35 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:15  
Blogger Aran said...

No degrees of stupidity?
[Posted by Aran on Sunday Jun 20, 2004 at 2:44 pm]

02 September, 2005 02:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home