Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Forti-fried

I went to the Golkonda Fort on Sunday, August the 15th. Seriously, in retrospect, I think I should have had my head examined, but I wasn't expecting the place to be crammed full of people. And cheap public. Old city types. Aunties in jhingbang shaadi clothes. Guys who would jeer and shout stupid, moronish things when they see a group of three girls (unaccompanied by guys). (See, we're intelligent types. If you really want to make friends with us, do you think we'd be impressed if someone came up to us with a constipated smile and told us, "Hello. Want to do friendship?" Puhleeeeeeasse! *rolling eyes until I feel dizzy*)

The place has really gone down the drain. We went there mainly because one of the three (not me) had an unhealthy fascination for old buildings. (Unhealthy to me. Cos I've already been there too many times and the novelty wore off.) The entrance fee for Indian citizens is 5 bucks, and NRIs and foreigners have to pay $ 2 or Rs. 100. What the eff?!!! They're fleecing the goras! I mean, 20 times???!!! Isn't that too crazy?

Aaanyway, we entered the place and then had the dumb idea to climb all the way to the top. (Actually, what else does one do there?) Now, apart from the fact that my legs are totally refusing to function, the thing that pained me the most was that the old city types didn't let us go to the very top. The 'Bala hisar' it's called and the view from there is fantabulous. There's a very narrow way to get there and all of the cheapos were ten deep all around it. And being the ladies we were, we simply couldn't push through them and go. :(

Totally dead by the time we came down and then I had to drive. Was afraid my legs would refuse to obey me and I'd bash into something/someone. But no. Got home safely. Am writing this, am I not?

ps. Yes, I went all mushy while I was there... imagined the kings and queens and the famous love story and Ramdas and the queens dancing and the naubat playing while I was there. Sigh. It's a lovely place minus the crowds. Methinks the cheapos should be asked to pay 100 bucks. That's what would make it all worthwhile. :o)

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comment 1 : NRI's are Gora's ???
*rolling eyes until I feel dizzy*
[Posted by T on Tuesday Aug 17, 2004 at 3:52 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems to be the day today for old buildigs and the past, nice one :)
[Posted by Lily on Tuesday Aug 17, 2004 at 3:54 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:45  
Blogger Aran said...

T, Uhhh... no. NRIs are not goras. Foreigners are goras. I mixed up the two. Me dumb.
We actually had too much fun with the goras. Wherever we saw one, we said '2 dollars', and cracked up. Yes, we are like this only. :p

MG, thanks. (})
[Posted by Aran on Tuesday Aug 17, 2004 at 4:03 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strangely, I associate the history of Golconda with the voice of Amitabh Bachhan.

I had been to Hyderabad 4 years ago for 2 days. Hurriedly saw the Salarjung, Charminar, the lake, had biriyani, and tried to get a glimpse of the beautiful city as much as I could. In 4 years, many things have faded out, but the memories of the “Light and Sound Show” shines brightly in my heart – that mysterious, deep voice, narrating the rich history of the Nawabs, the beautiful love story, the wars, the lifestyle of the people who lived in that fort made me shiver.

Have seen the world. But Golconda in Hyderabad will always remain special.

The Bachhan Magic – eh ?

[Posted by T on Tuesday Aug 17, 2004 at 4:55 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice post, specially the last paragraph, one tends to get all mushy and fall into dreams looking at such places, this happens to me every time I go to a certain place :)
[Posted by Aran's Fan on Tuesday Aug 17, 2004 at 6:31 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:46  
Blogger Aran said...

Yes T. I'm in love with the sound and light show too. Seen it too many times but never get bored with it. We couldn't stay back to watch the show on Sunday though. Had to go home early. :(

Fan, ty. :)
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday Aug 18, 2004 at 11:51 am]

04 October, 2005 23:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi
ur writing skills are bad and worse.dare u write like that about hyd again. u filth /.bye adios
[Posted by koushik on Wednesday Aug 18, 2004 at 5:56 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:47  
Blogger Aran said...

Ahhh koushik. Could you please do a more thorough critique? I'm really anxious to improve and you'd be helping a person in need. :)
[Posted by Aran on Wednesday Aug 18, 2004 at 8:39 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey aran, no idea why it doesnt open. havent posted anything in a long time...i am prone to silences
[Posted by doesitmatter on Wednesday Aug 18, 2004 at 2:07 am]

04 October, 2005 23:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the picture is beautiful, seems to have been taken from a good vantage point... you should put more up along with your posts!
[Posted by tabrez on Thursday Aug 19, 2004 at 11:49 am]

04 October, 2005 23:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why oh why didn't I comment on this post? Can someone help?
[Posted by Script Writer on Thursday Aug 19, 2004 at 4:04 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:48  
Blogger Aran said...

Ohh Scripto, You really should try commenting on my work, you know. Don't you appreciate all the help my comments give you? Wouldn't you want to reciprocate? :(

tabrez, my posts don't have more pics cos I write about weird crap which doesn't really have corresponding pics. :D

dim, try editing your last few posts, select all, cut and copy into a notepad and then paste the whole thing back into the post window. I think it will work. If it doesn't, mail the FH people and ask them to help. :)
[Posted by Aran on Thursday Aug 19, 2004 at 4:27 pm]

04 October, 2005 23:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

went to golconda fort about ten years back.. i remember counting the steps as i went up.. it was thrilling :P

PS: the cheapos should be made to pay 1000 bucks, not 100.
[Posted by rainmaker on Friday Aug 20, 2004 at 12:11 am]

04 October, 2005 23:49  
Blogger Aran said...

rainmaker, Golconda IS thrilling. :)
[Posted by Aran on Tuesday Aug 24, 2004 at 11:30 am]

04 October, 2005 23:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home