Thursday, August 26, 2004

Have Misery. Will wallow.

And sometimes, when I don't have misery, I will invent some miserable situation to wallow. I have lots of those in store. Miserable situations. Too many. It can be anything and everything. There are no predetermined criteria for a situation to become miserable. I'm easy that way.

God hates me. My mom doesn't love me enough. The dog likes him more. I don't have a dog. I don't have a him. My life looks like someone's leftover life. I want a dark hole to crawl into. I don't have the attitude. I can't write. I'm not clever enough. Or cute enough. Or bitchy enough. Whatever it is, it has potential for being miserable about.

I am a champ at slowly pushing myself into the quagmire of miserable quicksand, not to mention using big words when I don't know exactly what they mean. And this, dear people, is a carefully learned and cultivated art. The quagmiring, not the using of big words. (heheh... think 'quagmiring' will make JLU lose it?). So getting on with it, this didn't happen overnight. I had to sit in dark rooms with the curtains closed so that even a peek of a sun's ray couldn't get in to light those dust motes floating in my room. (Damn! I still slip up sometimes. That description sounded a bit happy.)

Wallowing, I say, is good for the soul. In the same twisted way that eating divine chocolate pastries is good for you. If you can think past the calories, you're a better person than I am. Or just plain stupid. You'll clog your arteries. Don't you know that? What are you thinking?! But we're digressing here. To come back to the point, wallowing in misery is good. It makes one pity oneself, and that satisfies something in one. (Notice how I said 'one' instead of 'me'? That's called displacement. heheh) You get attention, even if it's only your own attention. And if you're lucky, the people around you will get so fed up with you that they'll give you attention too. Maybe with a hefty cricket bat if worse comes to worse, but hey, attention!

Dodging the great supply of happiness is not easy. It needs single-minded focus. Counting your blessings, thinking positively, babies, flowers, nature, love, hallmark and Laloo Prasad Yadav... all these will haunt you and make the pursuit of misery tough. But one who perseveres... shall be miserable. What I'm trying to say here is that the true seekers of misery should not let themselves be shaken off their path by obscene displays of happiness. Be proud to be miserable, wear your tears as a medal, and your grouchy grim expression as decoration. Ignore those long, peaceful drives, those sunsets along the sea, getting drenched in the rain, pleasant surprises... all these are traps laid for you. Steer clear. Avoid.

And go forth and be miserable. May unhappiness be with you.

This post is dedicated to Pye. And the current mood is dedicated to Script Writer. ;)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, usually I am not the moping type, but I think I am miserable these days, so I can relate, huge hugs and whatever makes you tick!
[Posted by Lily on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 6:00 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the emotes :D, but who made you miserable? who dared? who? who? just point me in the direction, I prefer a happy Aran, but you know that even this miserable post is funny? you're great :D
[Posted by Aran's Fan on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 6:06 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and above all else avoid your blog to stay on course. r u funny or what, hate you girl. ahem now i have to think up all those things mentioned in the first para to get my mood rt.
[Posted by doesitmatter on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 6:10 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:44  
Blogger Aran said...

Lily, You'll get back on track. More sooner than later. :)(})

Fan, Who made me miserable is... a looong story. You undermined my attempt at misery. And in doing so made me more miserable. Hail you, whoever you are.

dim, you need to put in effort. Please don't slip. Blog or no blog... be unhappy.
[Posted by Aran on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 7:31 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.
[Posted by tabrez on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 7:34 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man! and she didn't dedicate this to me too!!
how, why!!?!?

nice post, i couldn't help grinning and thinking of me. darn, i can give meself attention even when i'm mildly on the brighter side of a valley!
[Posted by Stupendous Man on Thursday Aug 26, 2004 at 9:03 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:45  
Blogger Aran said...

Tabrez! What minimalistic expression! What brevity! Beautiful! How do you do it? The 'you say it best, when you say nothing at all' bit. :p

Well, Stupe, I was going to dedicate it to you too but then you came up with poms and woyammos. So... you missed it this time. :p
[Posted by Aran on Friday Aug 27, 2004 at 11:06 am]

18 October, 2005 02:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might seem out of context but can you tell me how old you are? Before you look for ulterior motives..nothing like that..it will help me to put what you write in context.
[Posted by Anil on Friday Aug 27, 2004 at 3:09 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

24??
[Posted by mash_it_nice on Friday Aug 27, 2004 at 10:02 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there! I posted something so you stop complaining. But now I will NAG NAG NAG you for a new post as well. So there!
NEW POST!! NEW POST!! starts a revolution
[Posted by Lily on Sunday Aug 29, 2004 at 5:38 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

still no new post! NAGS NAGS NAGS
[Posted by Lily on Sunday Aug 29, 2004 at 8:17 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:47  
Blogger Aran said...

Thank you Lil. Much obliged. And... well, you know, I can't be as prolific as you are. Slow and steady me. But winning no races here. Waiting for knock off. :p
[Posted by Aran on Sunday Aug 29, 2004 at 8:44 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

prolific???? sobs, even you say I talk too much, zips it!
[Posted by Lily on Sunday Aug 29, 2004 at 9:04 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:47  
Blogger Aran said...

pro·lif·ic - adj.
1. Producing offspring or fruit in great abundance; fertile.
2. Producing abundant works or results: a prolific artist.

And that is GOOD. I wouldn't want you to be any other way. :)
[Posted by Aran on Sunday Aug 29, 2004 at 9:10 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome!! its a perfect blend of humour and grief...just loved the part where u mentioned "laloo prasad yadav", had a good laugh....very well written.
[Posted by divakar on Sunday Aug 29, 2004 at 9:27 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just noticed that you were concerned about my reaction. 'Quagmiring' sounds as fair to me as 'Hyding' ;)Btw, for the sake of clarity.... "lose 'it'"??
[Posted by JLU on Monday Aug 30, 2004 at 10:39 am]

18 October, 2005 02:48  
Blogger Aran said...

Thank you divakar. :)

JLU, yeah... lose it. :$ You know, like lose the ability to be cool about it. Like that. It's all in fun though. :)
[Posted by Aran on Monday Aug 30, 2004 at 1:35 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a late comer here but a comer all the same...;-).
I read this, I laughed, I nearly cried in empathy. I almost hate to say it but u r good!!
[Posted by strivingtobeme on Thursday Oct 7, 2004 at 6:43 pm]

18 October, 2005 02:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home