Saturday, September 24, 2005

Profound What-Ifs Crashing into Consciousness at Inconsequential Moments

A recent (religious) discussion had me examining my beliefs while I was brushing my teeth this morning (actually, the morning was more of an afternoon). Now, going through my beliefs is something which is not very comfortable at the best of times, and while brushing teeth, well, I wouldn't recommend it. Nevertheless, it happened. The thoughts that ran through my head in the approx. ten minutes that it takes to brush...

- What if you all aren't real. You all. I'm real enough but what if everybody else is just something that my mind has made up. What if I'm living in a world which I've made up in it's entirety. What if there's no reality outside of my mind, but only within it. What if I'm totally and unreservedly believing my imagination and I'm the only person there ever was and ever will be.

- What if there's no heaven or hell but the real place we're going to end up in after we die is a creepy laughing house of those crazy mirrors in a carnival and there's going to be a deranged, murderous clown in the funhouse.

- What if the whole world exists in a big bubble and the time we're here is just a second or two in all of Time... and as soon as the fragile world bubble bursts, we're all going to get washed down a huge cosmic drain and drown. What if the last thing I'm ever going to see is a huge living being staring curiously down at me through the holes of the drain-cap while I am sucked away by the pressure, shouting and screaming. And he'll frown and wonder what I was.

And what if all of the three scenarios above are true at the same time.

This really happened. Yes. Sometimes, I manage to scare even myself. Maybe I'm slowly going insane. But then again, maybe it's just time to change my toothbrush.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mebbe its time you stopped brushin for TEN whole minutes!

the paste will form colonies of living plaque in your mouth and the thoughts will help the craziness progress. you dun wanna be a crazyplaquedbeeech no?

11 November, 2005 01:05  
Blogger Aran said...

With all my brilliance displayed up there, you notice only the fact that I brush my teeth for ten minutes?! You hurt my feelings.

No, I do not want to be crazy plaqued tree, but blue Colgate Gel rules.

11 November, 2005 01:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home