Thursday, July 21, 2005

What happened to Chor Police?

A set of cousins are playing behind the computer chair. Five year olds, both of them, born to different parents. I've been trying to make out what they're playing for the past 20 minutes and I might be able to repeat what the elder one calls himself if I can only make out what he's saying. It sounds different each time but he insists its the same name all through. I'm pretty sure it starts with an X though. Followed by a B?

Right, let's forget the name, their game itself is pretty complicated. Some instructions mumbled in what I suppose are walkie-talkies and hands spread and flicked here and there clutching what I think are capes. Detectives? Superheroes? The next moment one seems to be clutching his heart and dying while the other dances around him. Tribals? A while later one is preening in front of the mirrors while the other looks like he's haggling in a market. Housewives? I look away for a moment and the elder one is spinning some kind of a wheel and saying he will open the way to a new world through that. Teleportation? The little one points a pencil at the other and says 'pssht pssshhhht'. The elder waves his hands, says 'ksssshrrrr...' and the psssht fellow squeals. Yes, squeals. Like an animal. But he sounds pretty amused and is grinning. Doesn't look like the 'ksshhhrrr' was something bad. I catch something about a spaceship in their chatter. All this, they assure me is from a cartoon they see on TV. I ask, is it a mixture of different cartoons? No, they answer. Just one.

The action is amidst the sing-song voice of badly dubbed cartoons. Stilted, formal, north-indian accents. Complete with dramatic voices and weird inflections. Tum ney mujhe woh diya tha? Nahi! Maine usey kho diya hai. Ab hamara kya hoga!! Hum kshitij kaise paar karenge?! Or something like that. Big hindi words which I don't know myself.

They seem so sure and so in tune with each other while making up these complicated games. Some part of my brain says it's making perfect sense to them even while it seems too perplexing to me. I can't help but feel a bit envious. All we had was drab House House, Doctor Patient and Cops and Robbers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it fun to watch them tho? In their own little world, and so sure of themselves.

07 November, 2005 18:36  
Blogger Aran said...

It was unsettling. They seemed smarter that I was. But yes, they're very cute with all the self-importance and the way in which they lose themselves in it completely. :D

07 November, 2005 18:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home