Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Growing Up, Father's Shoes and Mother's Bangles

It is said that a son comes of age when he fills his father's shoes. (I tried googling that to find a link to that particular saying, but couldn't find anything remotely like that so you'll just have to take my word for it. Yes, I googled. I take my blogging seriously. How jobless are you?) I believe a girl comes of age when she can wear her mom's bangles. That's only because my mom has really tiny feet. I'd have been a grown up at about 5 years if the only criteria was filling her shoes. Or sandals. Or whatever her footwear is. I have my father's feet, unfortunately. Horribly huge. Size 10. Very ungainly for a girl. Yes, please pray for me.

There's also a bit of a problem with the bangles theory now. Because you see, my mother's hands are also too small. Childlike. And also very... uhmmm... what's the word... contortionistic? Malleable? Ahh supple! She once slipped on the bangles of my 10 year old cousin, but let's not live through traumatic memories now. This is no catharsis going on here, we'll do that some other day. The point is that her hands are also too small, which I'm thinking is a good thing because you cannot have a small body and small feet and huge hands. My mother is alrightly proportioned, that she is.

But then that poses a problem for me, because my saying doesn't really work that way. It isn't very easy for me to admit that my size of bangles got a bit larger than my mother's when I was about 13-or-so years old. She actually wore smaller bangles than I did. This totally overturns our... oh ok... my theory. But let's not give up hope just yet, because there have been certain recent developments which have warmed my cochleae cordis (yay! link!).

Just after I bought my Eid bangles, I realised that they looked quite huge on my hand. I didn't give it much thought then, but two days later when I saw my mother's kaanch ke choodis on our computer table, I thought why not try them on. And I did. And they fit. In fact, I have them on now. I've been wearing them for two days. Continuously. I slept with them on too. Now please, do not speculate about the kind of person I am or my mental capability from this isolated incident. Thank you.

Thus, this, my dear people, proves that I've grown up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home