Monday, January 30, 2006

We were theived upon

The policeman stood with his pelvis thrust out. I wanted to hammer it in. Seriously, what's with the sexually aggressive male pose? Why does it all have to go down to the crotch for you? The power's not between the thighs stupid, it's between the ears. Gah.

At the same time, there was an overly inquisitive cat in the yard outside. So I watched the cat and ignored the policeman. Now I know why cats are called curious. It sat and looked and looked and looked and... well, looked at this one spot on the ground before it. I think there were shadows of the sun playing on the ground through the trees there. That, or it was staring at an ant or something. Anyway, I stared at it too.

So I had a bitch of a day. Our stuff was stolen from where we kept it in the car. Yes, the day's only half over and it's gone from bad to worse. We had plane tickets to our holiday stolen. They were worth about 75,000. But more than that, the father's telephone diary was taken. He had all of his contacts in there, a collection of about 20 years. Gone. No cash. Nothing of value to a thief. I mean, he won't be flying or calling up random people from a book anytime soon.

We took the car for fingerprinting and there... I met Poirot. Yes, yes, the cute French detective. (At least I hope he was French. Was he?) My Poirot was called Murlidharan. He had the same boiled-egg head with three white curly hair at the top. I knew about the hair when he bent down to stare at the print on the door of our car and presented his bald pate to me. And then he took us up to his room and rolled my hand over black ink to take my prints.

So there you have it. That was my day today and the police have my prints. I can now never act on urges to hammer pelvises in. Men posers and their crotches can rejoice. We shall have to reign in our bitchiness. Sigh.

PS: pate = The human head, especially the top of the head: a bald pate.
(I liked the way they specified 'human'. Apparently Firefly doesn't have a pate. Poor thing.)

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! So will the airlines re-issue the tickets?

31 January, 2006 01:14  
Blogger Aran said...

Yup, they should after seeing a copy of the FIR.

31 January, 2006 02:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! sorry if I'm insensitive but your post made me laugh...the phone book is a pity though...you being the resident computer expert, didnt you advise him to back it up? tch..tch..tch!

31 January, 2006 23:31  
Blogger Deepa said...

oh that's awful. when my cell phone was stolen, i'd pray to the thief, keep the damn phone, just gimme my sim card. it's like having your memory stolen.

01 February, 2006 01:47  
Blogger Aran said...

Anil, you'd have to see that book to know what an effort it would be to back it up. It was loose papers stuck together with tape and little notes pencilled in the margin and numbers cut and written over. Every damn space was filled. So much sadder that it is no more. Say a prayer for it. Oh, and the laughter... that's all there is. Laugh in the face of adversity and maybe, just maybe, the Gods will get tired of testing you again and again. Oh damn! That sounded almost philosophical. I'm losing my touch and the spirit of this blog. :p
So laugh, by all means. That's what this place is about. :)

deepa: *sigh* I know what you mean.

Oh, and we aren't getting the refund on the tickets. Hello big HUGEASS loss. Gah.

01 February, 2006 14:05  
Blogger BLUR said...

tagged u! check moi blog

01 February, 2006 20:33  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

tsk tsk.. too bad dudette.. :(
So where are you guys going for your vacation?
And I see a lot more new faces this time in your comments section..
And why did you not come online all these days?
Did u by chance get employed or something :-s
geez.. I need to ward off all these evil thoughts.. :-ss

P.S: Sorry for the excessive usage of smileys.. and yeah firefly does not have a pate..
and its gettin on ma nerves.. WHERE ARE YOU PETA??

02 February, 2006 02:18  
Blogger Aran said...

Blur, checked.

optimist, Yeah! New faces. I've arrived! :D Actually I think just one new face, kind of a celebrity one, that.
Uh, no. I didn't get employed. I'm just not online much nowadays I suppose.
And hush! What's all this about PETA? :@

02 February, 2006 03:31  
Blogger melon collie said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
the little one offers his sympathies...

02 February, 2006 12:54  
Blogger Aran said...

accepts with thanks and writes out a receipt.

02 February, 2006 12:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aran, the general sensitivity quotient of the thieves in this city is quite high. My dad had his office briefcase stolen once a few years ago. The thief sold the case but posted all the papers inside it to the office address. So pray. Perhaps your thief will do the same.

02 February, 2006 16:44  
Blogger Aran said...

Ok, he can sell the tickets. They would not be useful to travel with as they are, but can be exchanged for different ones. Apparently, no one checks tickets if you go to the airlines and tell them you don't want a ticket from Bombay to Madras, but to change it to Bombay-Madras-Delhi. They just throw the old one and issue a new one in its place. So 'my' theif will not be posting the tickets I suppose.

Amazing, the things I got to know because of this incident. For example, they use white powder for fingerprinting on glass, not black.
And it's an art. You should have seen those people going about it. Ballet almost.

03 February, 2006 00:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its really bad what happened. I lost(read as someone stole it) my organizer a few years ago and still miss it. I know what you mean when you say the diary was un-back-up-able, we have one of those.
I am not in the habit of discarding MY STUFF even when its not of use and it has to be forcefully thrown/given away. Moms are there basically for that purpose. :-)
Hopefully the culprit will post the diary back.
An overly inquisitive cat would've looked around at what was happening instead of making holes in the ground dont you think?

03 February, 2006 03:34  
Blogger Aran said...

Apparently you haven't been a cat in any of your past lives so that's what you'd think an overly inquisitive cat would do. Instead, an overly inquisitive cat looks at something on the ground that isn't even noticable to a person sitting a few feet away. It wasn't making holes though, it was just staring at sunlight on the ground or ants, or both, or something else entirely.

03 February, 2006 04:31  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

thou hast been tagged.. :D

12 February, 2006 23:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cat lives in our house and its behavior led me to question the other cat's overly inquisitive behavior. This cat sits in front of the porch and keeps looking at stuff(cars,ppl, other cats, leaves) passing by on the road. Anyway to each its own.

19 February, 2006 13:56  
Blogger melon collie said...

where have you gone ?

01 March, 2006 07:07  
Blogger Aran said...

Was on vacation. Am back and sleep-deprived and majorly bitchy. Need sleep and love. This sounds like an ad. :|

Monsieur optimist, I shall deal with things later.

sad, let's not swap catty information. But I am glad, truly, that my posts affect you so deeply that you're compelled to comment upon such things. I am honoured. Really.

01 March, 2006 10:38  
Blogger apu said...

just wanted to drop in a line that I am back!

07 March, 2006 18:23  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

Knock.. knock!! Anybody there??

03 April, 2006 02:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home